Septic Tank Regulations QLD
On site wastewater management system guide
If you wish to manage your home's wastewater through an on site septic system in Queensland, there are a number of regulations that must be followed to ensure public health and safety. Now, you might be wondering; what regulations must be considered for when installing a septic tank? This article will provide you with the information you need regarding septic tanks in Queensland.
Required approval and government legislation regarding septic tanks
According to the Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code guidelines, when installing a septic tank, homeowners must consider these requirements:
- To take reasonable and practical measures to prevent/reduce environmental impact (Environment Protection Act 1994).
- Local governments must consider the cumulative impacts of on-site land application of effluent on the environment when assessing and approving development applications (Environmental Protection (Water) Policy 1997).
It is also illegal to dispose of or release waste from a septic system into a roadside gutter, stormwater drain, water course or an area where the waste could be moved from rain.Septic Tank Regulations QLD Let our septic system experts help you.
Design regulations of an on-site septic tank in QLD
When designing a septic tank, ensure that:
- It is capable of treating the expected hydraulic and organic loadings from a premise disposing of sewage.
- In accordance with the manufacturer's instructions for operation, the treatment process will produce effluent that meets the necessary criteria for wastewater.
- All components of the on-site system are easily accessible for qualified personnel to complete inspections, repairs or maintenance.
- The tank is installed either freestanding, partially in the ground or completely buried.
- The tank is not subject to external or internal loads, weather conditions and/or ground movement, as these factors can cause sewer leakages.
- To prevent water from entering the tank from above, the neighbouring ground must be sloping away from the tank.
These requirements have been sourced from the Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code Guidelines.
Your local septic tank system professionals in Queensland
Are you looking to have an on-site septic tank installed on your Queensland property? Express Wastewater can provide you with a professional installation of a commercial or residential wastewater treatment system.
We work our best to ensure that our wastewater treatment services are efficient and cost effective, so that you and your family can have a hassle free experience when it comes to wastewater treatment systems. Speak with one of our licensed servicemen about a septic tank for your home today by calling 1300 722 517 or by completing our septic tank enquiry form.