How long do septic system sand filters last?
Nothing lasts forever, and that applies to your septic systems also. Septic systems survive for many years if they have been properly maintained. So how long will your septic system sand filter last for? Read on to learn more.
How long does the septic system last?
The lifespan of the septic system depends on various factors like:
- Type of the system
- Conditions of the soil
- Maintenance of the system
- The material of the septic tank - plastic or concrete tanks can last for nearly 40 years. While the steel tank lasts for 15-20 years.
- Other factors like water usage, trees or plants growing in the area, the lifespan of pump filters, sand filter systems, and other internal components, the objects flushed to the system.
- Drain field
- Performance of the sand filters depends on factors such as:
- Primary treatment done by the septic tank
- Size and composition of the sand grains
- Loading rate
Septic systems can last for 15-40 years and the lifespan depends on various factors, including those mentioned above.
How often does the sand filter need to be replaced?
There are two types of sand filters.
- High-rate sand filters - It usually needs to be replaced every 2-5 years.
- Low-rate sand filters - Low loading rate can last longer than the high-rate sand filters.
Replacement of the sand filters depends on the different loading rates and the organic content in the wastewater. For example, wastewater rich in organic material needs to be maintained better and reduces the performance of the sand filter.
How to increase the lifespan of your septic system?
Proper maintenance will ensure your septic system lasts longer. Here are some handy tips to prolong its lifespan:
- Get the septic system and sand bed inspected by a professional regularly.
- Avoid using harmful chemicals that can kill the microbes and do not flush non-biodegradable products down the drain.
- Inspect your plumbing fixtures like pipes regularly for any leakages.
Your local septic systems experts
Having proper knowledge about your septic system can help you in maintaining your septic system better. We are experts in septic tank installations, repairs, and maintenance work throughout South East Queensland. Whether you are looking to install a septic tank or just need maintenance for sand filters, give us a call on 0400 700 238 and we would be happy to discuss your septic system needs.
Find out more about how septic system sand filters work.
Sources:How long do septic system sand filters last? Let our experts help you.